Summer is the best time to head out of doors and have fun. It’s certainly one of my preferred times of 12 months because there are so many outside activities to choose from. Everything is more a laugh outside, whether you’re swimming, jogging or biking.
But the summer season warmth may be a hassle in case you’re no longer cautious, particularly in regions with intense heat and humidity.
After experiencing the Badwater Ultramarathon (a 135-mile run via Death Valley) and the Marathon des Sables (a six-day, 152-mile staying power race through the Sahara Desert), I’ve learned a few matters about exercising within the warmness.
For me, the most important problems had been staying hydrated and preserving my body’s electrolytes and salt. When you sweat, your frame loses now not the simplest water, however electrolytes, and salt, too. This delicate stability of water and electrolytes is vital to maintain your body functioning properly.
If you do not drink sufficient water, you could get dehydrated and suffer from light-headedness and nausea. If now not diagnosed, dehydration can even bring about kidney failure and or, in extreme instances, loss of life. However, if you drink an excessive amount of water without replenishing your electrolytes, you can revel in hyponatremia. This can result in confusion, nausea, muscle cramps, seizures or even death in excessive instances.
You may not be racing in the wilderness, however, there are a few things to preserve in thoughts with regards to exercising inside the heat:
- The time of day is essential. Unless you are training for an occasion that takes region inside the daylight heat, keep away from quick workout from 10 a.M. To a few p.M. It’s the freshest a part of the day. Generally, the early morning is a pleasant time to exercise, especially if it’ll be scorcher that day.
- Wear-free, light-colored. The lighter shade will help mirror heat, and cotton fabric will help the evaporation of sweat. You can also want to try especially designed, “hello-tech” going for walks shirts and shorts. They are regularly crafted from cloth intended to maintain your cool.
- Sunscreen is a need to. I use SPF forty-five simply to be safe. It’s essential to protect your pores and skin. You can get burned and suffer sun damage on your skin even on cloudy days.
- Stay hydrated. Before you go out, drink a pitcher or two of water. Carry a bottle of water or maybe a hydration % such as the CamelBak. Take a drink every 15 minutes, even when you’re no longer thirsty. When you are executed together with your workout, have a few greater glasses of water.
- Replenish your electrolyte and salt consumption whilst exercise. I like to apply to SUCCEED pills-small, easy packs of sodium and electrolytes that preserve my machine to take a look at.
- If you can, choose shaded trails or pathways that keep you out of the solar.
- Check the weather forecast before you begin your exercise. If there is a warmness advisory, which means excessive ozone and air pollutants, you may need to take your exercising indoors. This pollution can harm your lungs.
- Most importantly, pay attention to your frame. Stop right now in case you’re feeling dizzy, faint or nauseous.