Migraines refer to the recurring headaches, which usually happen only in one side of the head. They can range from mild to severe headaches. Migraines can be very painful at times and can also include symptoms like nausea, vomiting, light or sound sensitivity, etc. Migraines can affect people from 15-55 years of age. A person is likely to suffer from migraines if any other family member is also suffering from the same. Women are more likely to be affected by migraines than men. A migraine can last for a few hours or maybe days.
Causes of migraine
Causes of migraine include the following:
- Hormonal changes
- Loud noises
- Strong smells
- Irregular sleep patterns
- Skipped meals
- Mood swings
- Neck stiffness
- Frequent yawning
- Food cravings
- Low energy levels
- Prickling sensations on the face, arm or leg
- Sensitivity towards the light or loud sounds
- Vomiting in severe cases
- Pulsing or throbbing head
- Pain usually occurs on one side of the head
Home remedies which can sooth the pain can be-
- Resting and getting enough sleep
- Lowering the stress levels can also help.
- Stay away from strong smells like scent and perfume. Strong smells can trigger pain. Smells like peppermint, lavender can lower the anxiety levels.
- Have a hot water shower. Hot water lets the tight muscles to relax and releases tension.
- Take a break from the screens. Or wear glasses which blocks the blue rays coming from the laptop or cell phone screens.
The doctors may suggest some anti-nausea medicines to give relief. Acupressure is also helpful in treating nausea during migraines. The treatment of migraine depends on the age, how often you get migraine attack, type of migraine, the symptoms and other factors. So before starting any treatment, one must consult the doctor to get the best advice.