Water is the basic need of the body. We need water to quench our thirst, cook food and to maintain cleanliness. We cannot live without water and it is essential to drink safe and clean water to keep ourselves away from diseases.
Why is water so important to us?
- Water is required for maintaining normal body temperature.
- It helps us to get rid of the waste from our body through urine and sweat.
- It helps in lubricating the joints of our body
- It keeps us hydrated. Without water, one can even get a heat stroke.
Why do we need safe water to drink?
Drinking polluted water can prove to be deadly. Polluted water is the source of many water-borne diseases like cholera, diarrhoea, typhoid, hepatitis and many more. Safe drinking water is as much important as eating healthy foods. A study shows that almost four-fifths of all illnesses are caused by water-borne diseases. Children are at higher risks of getting sick due to these water-borne diseases.
- Be careful from where you drink water. Be sure of the source from where the water is coming, whether in the office or at home.
- Do not drink water from rivers, lakes or ponds. Rivers and lakes are the most polluted these days due to animal and bird faeces or other industrial and human waste.
- While at home do not leave water uncovered as it may give rise to malaria and dengue mosquitoes.
- Get your water quality checked regularly to know whether you are getting clean water or not. If you are not sure of the water quality, then drink water only after boiling it for 2- 5 minutes.
- Always store water in a clean container or bottle.
At last, maintain proper hygiene and sanitation. Keep your surroundings clean and eat fruits and vegetables after properly washing them.