Everyone is aware that smoking is not good for health, but still, people do it. They take it as a stress buster and a means to escape reality. People find smoking a liberating experience which releases their stress and anxiety. For others, it may be to look cool or due to the peer pressure. These people indulge in cigarette smoking very easily but are not able to quit it as easily. You may found it amazing to smoke initially but it is very harmful in the long term. Smoking is injurious to health and can cause lung cancer, heart diseases or other serious diseases.
Let us look at some of the ways in which you can quit smoking.
- You have to find the motivation to quit yourself. No one can force it on you, because it’s your life. And you have to decide whether you have to live longer or lead a difficult life.
- Ask the doctor about the medicines which can help you quit smoking. Get some counselling done, prepare your mind and think of your family.
- If you think you can quit smoking in a day or two, then it’s not gonna happen, because the urge of nicotine is very strong. It would take some time but you will get used to it gradually.
- Remove all the cigarettes and tobacco-related products from your house,
- Try engaging yourself in other stuff. Do some exercises, spend time with your family and loved ones.
- People usually smoke to relieve stress, try to find happiness in other things. Ask yourself some questions, what you love to do, what makes you happy, what’s the reason behind your stress or anxiety? When you have the answers to all these, you will get the motivation to quit smoking more easily.
- Identify the things that make you smoke and then try to eliminate them.
- Keep reminding yourself why you need to quit.
- Start living a healthy life. Eat good food, drink right.
- Start by skipping smoking for one day. Then start increasing gradually.
So, quitting cigarette smoking can be difficult but it is not impossible! Try your level best because ultimately it’s for your good health only. Plus you have a family to look after so think about the persons who care for you, if not for yourself.