Diabetes can be classified as a disease in which the blood glucose or the blood sugar levels reaches above the normal levels. In diabetes, the body loses its ability to produce insulin or the body doesn’t use it well. Diabetes comes with other problems too. You can either get too lean or too fat, chances of heart diseases increases, vision problems or kidney disorders.
Types of diabetes
- Type 1 diabetes- Its known as autoimmune disease. In this the immune system destroys the cells in pancreas, which makes insulin.
- Type 2 diabetes- It occurs when the body starts resisting the insulin and sugar level shoots up in the blood.
- Prediabetes- It occurs when the blood sugar is higher than the normal level but not very high as in the type 2 diabetes.
- Gestational diabetes- this may occur during pregnancy.
- Increased hunger
- Frequent urines
- Fatigue or tiredness
- Weight loss
- Increased thirst
Foods to control diabetes
- Fatty fish- salmons, sardines and mackerel fishes are high sources of Omega 3 fatty acids can benefit a diabetic person.
- Green leafy vegetables- spinach, kale and other leafy vegetables protects your eyes. Diabetic person can suffer from cataracts or other eye problems. So leafy vegetables help in this case.
- Cinnamon – cinnamon can also help in lowering the blood sugar level
- Eggs- eggs have high nutritional values and reduce the chances of heart diseases.
- Nuts- eat a lot of dry fruits and nuts like almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazelnut, pistachios, etc.
Avoid sweetened beverages, Trans fat, white bread, pasta, rice, packaged snacks, fatty foods, etc. Start eating light snacks whenever you are hungry. Eat fruits or nuts between meals. Keep a regular check on your sugar levels and consult the doctor before starting any medicine.