We have been studying about balanced diet since our school days. But did we really take it seriously? The answer is no. Everyone has become so busy due to their work and responsibilities that they have started neglecting their health. People are inclining towards packaged foods and junk foods more. To be healthy we need to exercise daily and have a balanced diet.
Having a balanced diet helps our body to retain all the necessary nutrients. Good eating habits help us lead a healthy and active life. A balanced diet should include vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates and fats.
- Balanced diet reduces the risk of illness. When our body gets all the necessary nutrients, our immune system gets stronger and a person gets sick less often.
- Balanced diet improves memory and improves concentration levels. Children who skip their meals are often not able to concentrate on the studies.
- Overeating at night can cause acidity which can put a strain on the digestive system. Thus it is important to eat light meals but a balanced one.
- People have started adding more fats in their diets. Fats are also important for our body but an excess of fats leads to obesity. So a limited amount of fats should be taken.
- A balanced diet helps us control our body weight. Eating whole grains, oats, vegetables, fruits, legumes, etc will allow the body to stay fuller and would not increase the weight excessively.
- Eating more fruits and vegetables helps grow good bacteria and provides prebiotics and probiotics to the body. This helps in keeping out gut strong.
What can you do to have a balanced diet?
- Avoid soft drinks. Drink more water and herbal drinks.
- Eating fruits when hungry. Instead of binging on burgers and pizzas, eat fruits!
- Avoid packaged or processed food. Always try to eat homemade food!
- Use olive oil or sunflower oil instead of refined oils while cooking food.
- Have wheat bread instead of white bread.
- Eat at regular intervals.
- Have a heavy breakfast and light dinner.
- Don’t overeat!